Composite projections are here!
In honor of the 60th birthday today of my all-time favorite player, Ron "The Penguin" Cey, here’s a little spring training birthday present for you all… the "wisdom of the crowds" projections for 2008, combining SEVEN different premium and free projection systems from across the web into one handy resource.
to download the Excel spreadsheet, which includes one tab for hitters and one for pitchers.
A few items to note regarding these projections:
* These are not "MY" projections. I didn’t make up these numbers, I just compiled them from various sources. If you think they’re BS or don’t agree with them or whatever, don’t tell me about it, I don’t wanna hear it!
* Don’t ask me whose projections are included here, that wouldn’t be
fair to them. Suffice it to say there are some well-known industry
leaders represented, with some slightly more obscure sources included as well.
* Remember that these are projections, and NOT predictions. Just because this
projects Rick Ankiel with 28 homers, that doesn’t mean he’ll hit
exactly 28… but that’s the average expectation of several objective
* Pay special attention to the "PROJ" column, which shows how many different projections were used for each guy. The more projections for each guy (7 being the most, 2 being the least), the more confidence you should have in them. I threw out the data for any player who was only included in one projection system.
* Note also that these are essentially "what if" projections for younger players. I doubt anyone is really expecting Juan Miranda to get 455 at-bats, or for Kyle Waldrop to throw 151.0 innings… these are simply projections for what the player would be expected to do given that playing time. For draft purposes, emphasize the guys with 5 or 6 or 7 projections; those with only 2-4 or so are essentially prospects.
OK, I think that covers it. I’ll be doing a mock draft with Siano and some Fantasy Baseball Mafia folks on Sunday night, so look for those results early next week. Man, am I glad there’s some baseball being played in Florida and Arizona! Hope springs eternal!!
Have fun and good luck with everyone’s draft prep…