Pop culture references for April 9
For those of you who have been missing the cultural
references on the show lately, we got ‘em back with a vengeance today! If I
counted correctly and didn’t let any sail over my own head, we had…
* When I started interrupting Casey at the start of the show
and he said “c’mon, this is my job!”, I pointed out that he sounded just like Donald Sutherland’s Professor Jennings (right) in Animal House.
* The conversation about the Mariners bullpen had Mike
talking about Sean Green, who I confused with the actor Seth Green, and Siano
didn’t miss a beat in saying the classic “tell Sloan I said ‘what up’” line from Entourage (below).
* Siano also made a Rocky IV joke about Adrian
telling Rocky “you can’t win!” before he leaves for Russia
to train against Drago.
* Awesome rendition of “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” courtesy
of our multimedia department, for the Baby Ruth promotion. The beginning shot
of producer Tom Spota taking the first bite of the BR immediately brought to
mind Bill Murray cleaning out the pool (below) in Caddyshack, which will of course
appear on my all-time top five movies list next week.
* We had a Goonies reference during the BR segment, too. I still haven’t seen it.
* The top five movies talk of course gave me the chance to
mention once again that Repo Man is my all-time favorite, although I didn’t really say it because I wanted Casey to guess… of course, veteran listeners of the
show already know this so there was little reason for me to mention it!
* Finally, Casey mentioned at one point that “something’s
gotta give”… I don’t know what he was talking about, but I pointed out that’s the
name of a 1995 record by Agnostic Front, one of the great punk/metal crossover bands
to come out of New York in the mid to late 80′s after the punk scene completely
splintered. It’s also the name of a very lame movie with Jack Nicholson and Diante Keaton among others, but let’s not go there.
* And of course Casey and Mike got to talk a little about American Idol, but I don’t watch it so I don’t know who or what they were talking about.
* Here’s a little pop culture haiku for ya…
Roto talk is fun
Almost as good as talking
Music and movies
Well that’s all for tonight folks, gotta go watch the rest of the epic battle between the Padres and Giants… keep knockin’ back those Viagras!
P.S. — Mike and I will be doing our next online chat on Wednesday, April 23, so get your questions ready now!!